The correct organization of the bathroom or combined bathroom is the key to a comfortable life in an apartment or private house. Sanitary equipment plays a decisive role in solving this problem. From how convenient and functional it will be, depends on the overall feeling of well-being of the space, as well as a positive, cheerful mood for the day. It is not a secret that problems and troubles with plumbing, faucets have a negative impact on performance, plans, knock out of the usual rut.
The modern market offers consumers a huge number of different models and varieties of sanitary ware. It is worth going into a showroom or on the Internet site, and the eyes run away from the abundance of assortment. The question arises: how to unmistakably choose the ideal option for a particular room and user?
That is why we have prepared an overview of the types of bathroom fixtures, as well as advice on the choice from leading experts of the firm. Simple recommendations will help to orient yourself, correctly select the optimal models from those available on sale.
The basic rules when planning the interior and the choice of bathroom fixtures in the bathroom
There is one rule that requires strict observance: before you buy materials and equipment for repair, you need to make a plan. This applies to both spacious and tiny rooms. Otherwise, there is a great risk not to guess with the dimensions, to make offensive, ridiculous mistakes.
In a particularly careful approach need a small bathroom, combined bathrooms, which must accommodate all the necessary equipment, including cabinets and washing machine. About what sanitary ware to choose for the bath, think after taking measurements and drawing up a plan of communication outlets: water and sewage, heating pipes, outlets and wires for lamps, ventilation.
Specialists recommend in the planning process to be guided by several principles
- The number and composition of items of plumbing, equipment, lockers is determined by the following factors: the dimensions of the room, the number of users, practical necessity. If the family is not accepted to use a bidet, then it will waste space. The same can be said about the bath: many people prefer to take a shower, and on weekends wash in a bath or sauna.
- If the area of the room is limited, choose compact models, install a shower partition instead of a more massive cabin or a full-fledged bathtub. In addition, some of the equipment and cabinets are placed on the walls, racks, special fixtures.
- Be sure to draw a scale plan, with the location and size of the plumbing. Mark items with opening elements: the hatch of the washing machine, inspection hatches, doors of lockers and showers, the entrance door, if it opens inward, the toilet lid. They must not encounter any obstacles in their path, or rest against neighboring objects or the wall.
- All items and furnishings installed in the bathroom should be combined, harmoniously complement each other. It is best to buy a set of bathroom fixtures from the same manufacturer, in a uniform design. In addition, the type and colors of wall and floor coverings are important.
- Faucets and showerheads are chosen in the same style for sinks, bidets and bathtubs. The most popular are chrome-plated metal models. Brass, bronze products in modern or retro style are purchased less often.
- Towel dryers, soap dispensers, a variety of auxiliary metal elements should also echo the design of the main environment.
- The quality of products – one of the main parameters. Good sanitary ware functions flawlessly for ten or more years. Replacement requires only consumables, gaskets, moving parts.
- Do not forget about the mirror. Usually it is placed above the sink. But, there are also unusual interior solutions. For illumination, a pair of sconces, spotlights or spotlights are installed.
If the owners of the property plan to install a bathtub, toilet bowl in another place, not provided by the original layout, it is necessary to consult with a competent master. He will tell exactly whether it is possible to realize this solution under the given conditions.
Thinking about how to choose bathroom fixtures, it is necessary to decide on the materials from which they are made. Experts advise to complete the bathroom with products made of the same raw materials, the same colors, with the inclusion of additional materials.
So, for example, a faience set of sanitary ware is supplemented with cabinets made of MDF, wood, glass partitions, metal supports and legs.
- Faience (sanitary ware) is made from a special type of clay and fired in ovens. Products are covered with a thick layer of smooth, waterproof glaze with various pigments that determine the coloring. It is one of the most affordable materials, with excellent resistance to household chemicals, temperature fluctuations, and water. However, over time, the glaze begins to wear off, and porous clay readily absorbs moisture, reducing the strength of the sanitary ware. In addition, the products are sensitive to mechanical influences, shocks. The average service life is 15 years.
- Porcelain (sanitary ware) is characterized by greater durability, resistance and higher prices. Externally, it is difficult to distinguish it from earthenware, but the performance characteristics are much higher. The easiest way to distinguish porcelain from earthenware is by weight. Porcelain products are heavier with the same dimensions. Produce such sanitary ware from white clay, with the addition of feldspar and quartz, firing in high-temperature furnaces. On top they are covered with a durable layer of glaze of various colors. They are undemanding in care, easy to clean from dirt and are not subject to corrosion. On them do not live fungi, bacteria. But, from strong blows appear chips, cracks.
- Marble, granite, other types of natural stone. Luxurious material with a characteristic pattern, a wide variety of shades. Gives the room a noble look, a sense of respectability and wealth. Durable material with a huge margin of safety. However, due to its porous structure, it requires delicate, careful care.
- Quartz agglomerate, artificial stone and other types of composite materials are characterized by high strength and durability. They are distinguished by an exquisite glossy shine, resistance to a variety of household chemicals, temperature fluctuations. They are not afraid of mechanical shocks and undemanding in cleaning. The only disadvantage is the high cost.
- Durable, tempered glass is increasingly used for the manufacture of sinks, additional elements – partitions, tables, counters. In terms of durability, such products are not inferior to traditional earthenware and porcelain, and they do not absorb moisture at all. This is an optimal solution for small rooms, as it makes the equipment invisible, reduces the feeling of a cluttered room. It adds light and air to the space. Glass requires careful care, wiping dry, as its surface clearly shows any stains, traces of hands, water drops.
- Cast iron, bronze and other types of metals are traditionally used to decorate the bathroom in a retro style. But, there are author’s designs in modern styles – high-tech, minimalism, art deco. Such sanitary ware is characterized by high strength, durability. It is easy to wash it from dirt, it is not afraid of even strong blows.
- Wooden sinks with special treatment are exclusive, expensive products. They are ecological, look unusual, perfectly complement rustic and eco-styles.
- Plastic bathtubs and shower trays are practical, cheap and undemanding in care. They are made of acrylic, with the addition of various pigments. Also, plastic is used to make hatches, curtains and transparent partitions, sliding doors. But, there are disadvantages – low resistance to scratches, low strength.
It is acceptable to combine different types of materials with each other: cast iron bathtub with metal legs, marble sink and toilet. Or acrylic Jacuzzi cover in combination with faience sanitary ware and glass shower stall.
Choosing a sink for the bathroom
- The size of the sink depends on the area of the room. Buy a chic, oversized model in a tiny combined bathroom – a wrong decision. For such a bathroom, corner, suspended and recessed models with a length of up to 35 cm are suitable. Spacious rooms can be equipped with a double sink or an elongated model with a width of 80 cm or more. Standard models are considered to be 50-60 cm long and 40 cm wide.
- Several types of products are produced according to the method of attachment: tulip, wall, shaped, cascading. Built-in are installed together with a cabinet, console or drawer. Each class has its own features of the location of the hole for the faucet, dimensions, configuration. Some models provide for wall or table mounting of the mixer, and are completely devoid of other holes, except for the drain. Therefore, the type of mixer should be matched to the already selected washbasin.
- If the sink has a special hole that protects against water overflow, then it must be connected to the sewer through a separate pipe and siphon.
- In shape, the product can be round-oval, rectangular, round, angular. Design models of complex configuration are increasingly common.
When space is tight, a small wall-hung washbasin is installed over a front-loading washing machine, or over a toilet, bidet.
- If there are small children in the house, elderly relatives, it is worth paying attention to baths with built-in handrails on the sides. It is convenient to hold on to them, reducing the risk of injury.
- The faucet is installed either in one of the ends or on the side wall, depending on the location of the exit points of communications. Less often, in the case of installing the bathtub at a distance from the walls, use a variant with the exit of water pipes from the floor.
- To splashes do not fly to the sides, experts recommend a graceful solution – a movable or stationary partition made of glass or plastic.
Shower cabin in the bathroom
- Box or shower cabin of the closed type is completely ready for use. It is installed in the chosen location, connected to communications and power supply if necessary. Factories offer a wide range of sizes, from modest, single, to giants with dimensions of more than 200 cm in length. There are built-in functions – music, hydromassage, folding chairs, aromatherapy, steam generator and even a Turkish bath. If the product is equipped with a deep tray, then you can take a bath in it.
- An open cubicle is a partition made of glass or polymer. Inside, the floor is tiled with a slope to the drain, or a tray is placed. A mixer and a shower are fixed on the wall. This design is cheaper and more practical, more durable. However, it should be designed at the stage of roughing-up and laying communications.
Most often shower cabins are installed in niches, narrow partitions, corners. They allow you to significantly save space.
The choice of bathroom fixtures is based on a number of practical and aesthetic considerations. An important role is played not only by color or type of material, but also by comfort and reliability.
Experts recommend trusting the experience and qualifications of design engineers of the world’s leading sanitary ware manufacturers. Models produced by trusted brands are characterized by durability and flawless operation of all systems. And their magnificent, thoughtful design makes only a positive impression.